Wednesday, September 1, 2010

World War II Recipes

Found “A Cookbook of Memories, Remedies, and Recipes from the Great Depression 1929-198?” by the Grassroots Survival Company (1980) at Goodwill yesterday. It includes this little gem:

War Cake (Eggless, Milkless, Butterless Cake) from Lois Roberts

2 cups brown sugar
2 cups hot water
2 T lard
1 t cinnamon
1 cup raisins
1 t cloves
½ t nutmeg
3 cups flour
½ t baking powder
1 t soda

Boil first seven ingredients together for 5 minutes. Let cool, then add soda dissolved in a little warm water. Add flour which has been sifted with baking powder. Bake in 2 loaf pans at 325 for 45 minutes. This recipe has varied a lot over the years depending on what people had available. Some recipes called for applesauce, cocoa and/or coffee instead of water.


Reminds me of Anzac biscuits, though I’m impressed they eliminated the butter too. I tried Anzac biscuits after my daughter fell in love with Australia in kindergarten. I fell in love with the cookies/biscuits. Here’s how I make them

Anzac biscuits

2 cups oatmeal
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 cups unsweetened coconut macaroon (Ziyad brand, I go to a middle-eastern grocery for it, you could use shredded coconut instead)

Mix all the above together.

1 cup melted butter
3 T Lyle’s golden syrup (I go to the British store for that, and no, corn syrup doesn’t really do the same thing.)
Mix together.

Mix 2 t baking soda with 4 T boiling water, add to the butter and then pour it all over the dry ingredients. Mix and drop onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350.

No comments:

Post a Comment