Sunday, September 26, 2010

Instant Blending Flour

I had never heard of Instant Blending Flour before I saw this ad. It says it's granular and pours like sugar. What on earth could they do in the milling process to produce that? And you would think that would make it dissolve more slowly in solutions rather than faster. A little more digging and I've discovered that this kind of flour has less protein too, so while you might want to use it in places where you'd use cake flour (pastry, cookies, cakes) you wouldn't want to use it in bread which belies their claim of being all-purpose. It promises smooth gravy but I quit using flour for that a long time ago and switched to corn starch so any lumps are the lumps that I put in myself, like onion, besides I don't like the flour-y taste it adds to sauces. Yes, I know, sometimes you've gotta make a roux...that's different; that's when I want the taste of browned butter and flour. I suppose Instant Blending Flour would make an excellent roux.

Pillsbury doesn't sell this anymore, but Wondra, which I do see in the stores, is the same thing. Again from my searches, I see some people prefer to use Wondra in pie crust because it has a slightly less acidic taste than cake flour. Damn, just when I thought my search for the perfect pie crust was complete, that I had uncovered all the secret elements.

Time to buy some Wondra.

I hate it when advertising works on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment