Saturday, September 25, 2010

Graham Muffins

The irony of me writing a blog about recipes is that I don't think I've ever actually followed a recipe in my life. I'm like those annoying people on AllRecipes.com that rate a recipe they claim to have made but then list how much they changed it so really, they have no idea what the original recipe would have produced. No, I'm not like them, I AM them. It's a compulsion or something, to always leave my mark, even if it's only temporarily on the table before being snarfed. That or laziness or lack of planning. I make substitutions willy nilly because I'm not about to go and get just one item that I may be missing if I've got it in my head to make something.

So right now, I have a batch of these graham muffins in the oven. I was too lazy to melt the butter so I used a shot of oil. I decided 425 was a "rather high flame." I also threw in some chopped Jonathon apples I got from a local orchard. I should have added some cinnamon...darn. Maybe when they come out I'll dip the tops in cinnamon sugar. Yeah. That's the ticket.

Rye or Graham Muffins
1 cup rye or graham flour
1 cup flour
2 T sugar
1 T melted butter
1 t salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
4 t baking powder
Mix and sift dry ingredients; add milk gradually, egg well beaten, and butter. Bake over a rather high flame in previously heated and buttered iron gem pans, or in muffin pans, 25 minutes.

This is from an advertising cook book for Perfection Stoves. It doesn't have a date on it but it looks like the 1890s to me from the pictures.
Pale, bland, unappealing vintage muffin.

Extra fat and calories modern yummy muffin: dipped in melted butter and sugar/cinnamon.
The cockatiel and I had them for breakfast with tea. He got a plain one. The cat wanted some too. Or maybe she wanted the bird.


No comments:

Post a Comment