Thursday, September 23, 2010

September and cinnamon

I live in an old house with window air conditioners and September is that odd time of year when I can’t decide if today is the day to put them in storage or if it’s going to be too sultry to sleep upstairs by nightfall. There’s a lovely breeze thru the main floor when all the windows are open plus I’m cheap, and I’d rather get by with open windows for cooling and warming the house up by turning on my oven than turning on the heater.  Consequently, fall tends to bring on a spat of baking fever. Sounds like the perfect time to check in on the 1964 Pillsbury 15th Grand National Bake-Off and see what was cooking.

Starting with what the previous owner of the cookbook has marked:

French Pear Pie

Drain 1 can (1 lb. 13 oz.) pear halves. Arrange pears cut side up, in an unbaked pie crust in a 9 inch pan.

Combine and mix well:
 3 T flour
½ cup sugar
¼ t ginger
1 ½ cups sour cream
Pour over pears.

Combine:
½ cup flour
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ t nutmeg
Cut in ¼ cup butter, sprinkle over filling.

Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.

I have a very similar recipe that is one of my go-to’s for a simple but seems like you fussed dessert. It uses milk and butter in place of the sour cream and didn’t have the topping, I added that on my own. I like it because I always have these things on hand so I can whip it up quick. (Yeah, I usually have pie crust in my freezer. I’m saving the search for the ultimate pie crust for a future post.) I’ve tried apples and peaches, fresh and canned instead of the pears, as I’m sure would work here. A little oatmeal in that topping too. I think I’ll try this sour cream version the next time, I might have to switch!

Parmesan Biscuits

Sift together:
1 ½ cups flour
2 t baking powder
1 t celery seed
½ t salt

Cut in ¼ cup shortening and ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese until particles are fine.

Combine 1 egg with 1/3 cup milk. Add to dry ingredients. Stir until dough clings together. Knead on floured surface 10 times.

Roll out to ½ inch thickness. Cut into rounds with floured 2 inch cutter. Place on top of casserole or on baking pan. Bake 450° for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Sweet Applets

Sift together:
1 ½ cups flour
2 t baking powder
½ t salt
½ t nutmeg

Add ½ cup sugar to 1/3 cup shortening, creaming well. Blend in 1 egg.
Add 1/3 cup milk alternately with dry ingredients.
Stir in 1 ½ cups pared, shredded apple.
Fill well-greased muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pan, let cool 10 minutes.

Dip in ¼ cup melted butter and roll in ½ cup sugar and 1 t cinnamon.

Anyone else smell the cinnamon baking right  about now?

No comments:

Post a Comment