Monday, September 6, 2010

Aunt Hasna's Jireesh Soup

My Dad went to visit our family recently and my aunt prepared this soup for breaking fast in the evening during Ramadan. (Soup is a popular dish for breaking fast since it's usually easy on the stomach.) My Dad got her to write the recipe down and brought it home for my mom, along with a 25 lb bag of jireesh to go in it. It's been a big hit here too.

1 cup jireesh (dry uncooked cracked wheat)
4 medium tomatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
chopped cilantro, cumin, black pepper, and cinnamon and--if you can find it at a middle eastern import
store--a dried lemon or lime
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 liter water
cooked chicken breast
1 pkg. Knorr chicken noodle soup with angel hair pasta

Soak jireesh for 1 1/2 hours in water, put on low fire and simmer for 1 hour, add lemon/lime. Mix tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and spices in a blender. Add to jireesh and let simmer for 1/2 hour. Add soup packet and chopped cooked chicken and simmer another half hour. A little lemon juice can be added just before serving.

You'll be surprised how bright and fresh yet comforting this tastes. My Tennessee-born boyfriend tried it today and immediately told me I needed to get the recipe. Got it covered, I replied.

1 comment:

  1. I tried it....I love the taste.

    Delicious and above all healthy.

    ReplyDelete