Friday, September 3, 2010

Snowball Cookies

These no-bake cookies functioned as currency when I was in elementary school. Oh the deals that were struck for Creature Feature cards, clackers, homework assignments, or a chance to play with the cool kids. As an adult, when a friend started working in food service in the same school district, I asked, "Do they still make those snowball things...?" She wrote me out the recipe forthwith on an envelope. With it clutched in my hand, I had visions of traveling back in time, twirling a Snidely Whiplash mustache, "ha! who gets to play Green Ghost now?!"

½ lb. butter
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 ¼ qt rolled oats
2 c coconut
2 t vanilla
¼ c (or more) milk
1 1/3 c mini chocolate chips
Cream butter and sugar. Gradually add dry ingredients and milk alternately. Mix chocolate chips in last. Drop by teaspoonful onto a tray sprinkled with powdered sugar. Sprinkle tops with more powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment