Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Corn Fritters

Corn in pancakes must be an Iowa thing. I love them but have gotten funny looks from folks not from the Mid-West. I found a recipe for Corn Fritters in The International Cook Book by Margaret Weimer Heywood, 1929, and figured if corn pancakes were good, these would be worth a try. The girls have late start at school on Wednesdays so I put a bit more effort into breakfast those mornings. Not that they will eat any of it.

Corn Fritters
1 cup corn (fresh or canned)
4 T milk
1 t baking powder
1 egg
¾ c flour
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix milk with egg, add flour, and beat smooth. Add corn and seasoning. Mix well and drop by spoonfuls in hot fat (380°F). Fry until golden brown. Serve with maple syrup. May be sautéed instead of fried.

I’ll confess that I ended up adding more milk and sautéing them. I just didn’t feel like deep fat frying in the morning. What I got was, well, a corn pancake. I thought they were just fine. But they struck out with everyone else. About three bites in: “I’m sorry, hon, I just can’t do…” pokes it with a fork like it might not be quite dead…”I just can’t do the corn.” 
"You know that everything we eat from now on is going to be dictated by the blog, right?"
Less than enthusiastic, "yeah".
I am reminded of the apple fritters that my Great Aunt Pat’s mother used to make, drizzled in a pinkish cinnamon syrup and served up in bowls: breakfast manna. *Sigh* But I doubt I’ll ever have the recipe for those. 

No comments:

Post a Comment