Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The best part of waking up, is oatmeal in your cup...

I can’t stand the taste of coffee. Not even double chocolate mocha with whipped cream on top. On the other hand, I love the smell of it, especially in the morning. It gives me cozy homey feelings. My partner is a coffee snob. He keeps whole beans in the freezer and grinds them as he uses them. On the other hand, he is also addicted to generic powdered coffee creamer, not milk, not cream, and no fancy flavors. This morning he was out and all I had to offer was a bottle of Belgian chocolate toffee Coffeemate creamer in my fridge. He wrinkled his nose but it was better than nothing.

The reason I had coffeemate was to pour over my oatmeal. That way I can pretend it’s chocolate ice cream. Work with me on this, sometimes you have nothing to binge on in the house and at least this way you can pretend it’s healthy. I realize that once you’ve poured Coffeemate over it, oatmeal has as many calories and fat as the ice cream you are avoiding. But think of the fiber!

I do love oatmeal. A day without oatmeal is like an egg without salt. I am addicted to granola bars, oatmeal cookies are my favorite, and there’s something comforting about a hot mug of belly sticking oatmeal as an evening snack. Consequently, I never make this recipe for oatmeal cake. It would be one of those things I have to shave a little bite off of every time I pass by. You know, just to even up the edges, until the whole pan is gone.

Oatmeal cake makes a nice change from chocolate and was often on the buffet when my parents had people over. I have no idea where my mom originally got it but she's made it as long as I can remember. Again, you can even pretend it’s healthy. Or substitute out some white flour for graham, throw in some shredded zucchini, carrots, or apples, or sub some applesauce for the shortening and make it healthy for real. I could suggest that lard would also be a healthier substitution but Fruitfemme won’t let me go there.

Oatmeal Cake

Pour 1 c boiling water oven
1 c oatmeal let stand
Cream 2 c brown sugar
1 c shortening

Add 2 eggs—beat well—add oatmeal.

Sift 1 c flour
½ t salt
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon

Add to the above, mix well. Add 1 cup nuts and 1 cup raisins

Bake at 350° for 1 hour or til done.

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
3 T brown sugar
1 T cornstarch
½ t salt
1 t vanilla
1 T butter

Mix above ingredients and add enough boiling cream or milk to make a thick glaze. Frost while cake is still warm. Eat while cake is still warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment