Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Spanish Meatballs

This one is so favored that I wrote it twice in the margins of one of my cookbooks. My mom got the recipe from her friend, Maria, who used to watch my younger siblings. I only learned much later from a Spanish coworker that it's called 'albondigas'. Come to think of it, looking at the 'al-' at the beginning of it, I'll bet it has Moorish roots.

Spanish meatballs

4 lbs hamburger
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
3 medium potatoes, finely chopped
1/2 tomatoes from a large can

Mix the above and form into meatballs. Drop them in gently boiling water along with:

1/2 cup uncooked rice
3 medium potatoes, diced
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves
oregano to taste
tomatoes and juice left in the can

Simmer long and slow until the rice and potatoes are tender. I sometimes add a little beef or chicken bullion to the water too. This thickens up a little as the starch releases. It's even better warmed up the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment