Monday, September 13, 2010

Eggs of Doom

All I wanted was a simple sunny side up egg. I worked late, came home, and warmed up some casserole in a bowl for dinner. All I wanted was a simple egg to top it off. I cracked an egg over the top of the leftovers and gently poked a hole in the yolk to release steam, nuked it, and took it out of the microwave when the white was just cooked and the yolk was still gooey. It looked perfect. All I wanted was a comforting egg. I ground some pepper on top and went to put a fork in the bowl before carrying it into the other room to eat.

The second I stuck the fork in, the egg exploded. I mean a BANG that brought everyone else in the house running to the kitchen and sprayed me, the cabinets, and even the ceiling with my dinner. I was so stunned it took a few seconds for me to realize that I had boiling yolk glued to my face. The second degree burns across my upper eyelid would have been a much worse prospect had the yolk landed one centimeter lower.

Apparently, the steam vent had not stayed open. Now before you say, duh, know that I had been using this following recipe for many years without incident when I wanted a quick cozy breakfast. While it isn’t old enough to be ‘vintage’ for the purposes of this blog, I’m going to include it as one that is definitely retired. I’ve never made it since the day the eggs fought back. Try it at your own peril.

Eggs in a Basket
1 slice toast
1 egg
1 slice cheese
Salt and pepper
With a small glass, remove a 2 ½ inch circle from the center of the toast. Break and egg and slip into the center of toast. Pierce yolk three times with a toothpick. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover with wax paper and cook on medium one minute or til white is almost set. Place cheese on top and cook 30-45 seconds til melted. 
Come to think of it, I do have a pair of safety goggles now...

No comments:

Post a Comment