Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Grampa's New Hobby

Late in his life, my Grampa got into cooking and eager combed the papers for new recipes. I lived with my grandparents for awhile while I was in college and these are two recipes my Grampa clipped and saved. They were originally published in the Wichita Eagle and Beacon in the 1980s. They quickly ended up in the margins of my cookbook.

Rich Microwave Fudge

1 18 oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
dash salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Carefully melt the chocolate in the microwave, checking and stirring frequently to make sure it doesn't burn. Stir in the rest and spread into a well-buttered pan. I have taken to lining the pan with parchment paper and buttering that so I can lift it out easy to cut. I also sometimes add a tablespoon or two of butter to the chocolate. My girls love this fudge which I will only make at Christmas time.


TexMex Pizza Loaf (My Grampa even liked saying the name and would repeat it over and over. It is lyrical in its way.)

2 lbs ground beef
1 med onion, chopped
1 8 oz. bottle taco sauce
salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic to taste
1 16" Italian bread loaf
1 sliced green pepper
12 ripe olives
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 sliced avocado

Brown the beef and onion, add sauce and season to taste. Split the loaf in half and tear out the soft center to make crusty boats. Fill with meat, top with pepper, olives, cheese, and avocado. Place on cookie sheet and bake 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment