Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Kaffee Kuchen

Mom caught me thumbing thru her battered pocket Better Homes and Gardens cook book that had gone to Arabia and back. "I'm looking for Kaffee Kuchen, do you think it's still in here," I said, scanning the remains of the index. I flipped forward. "Nope, those pages are missing."

"Here's the other piece," she said, handing me a different section that had completely separated from the rest. I riffled it carefully until I found what I was looking for.

Mom looked puzzled initially when I said I'd already taken a picture of it. When I explained it was for the blog she said, "That book was a real life saver. I knew that where I was going I wouldn't be able to get anything pre-made, no mixes, you know, so I had to be able to make everything from scratch."

And since she had to, I had to too, necessity makes a great cooking school. Here's how I practiced separating eggs, beating egg whites, and folding. Simple, and not too sweet. I'd add a touch of vanilla to the batter today, and a bit of cinnamon to the topping.


Kaffee Kuchen

½ c shortening
1 c sugar
2 egg yolks
1 ½ c flour
1 t baking powder
¼ t salt
½ c milk or buttermilk
2 stiff beaten egg whites

Cream shortening and sugar, add yolks. Mix dry ingredients and add alternately with milk. Fold in whites. Pour in 8x8 greased and floured pan. Top with 6T flour, ¼ c brown sugar, 2 T butter, ½ t baking powder, blended. Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment