Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sick/Well Day

My kids can smell a mental health day from a mile off. I’ve been really busy lately and thought, “I don’t have anything that HAS to be done tomorrow; think I’ll give myself a break and take it off, maybe take the dog for a long walk around the lake, practice my dancing, do something creative…” These are the kind of thoughts that arc through the air like lightening and bring on instant illness in my children. So yesterday afternoon was spent at the Dr.’s office instead, followed by the required trip to the pharmacy for antibiotics. At least this time didn’t involve vomiting. I guess it's not much fun for the sick-ee either to be schlepped around when all you want is to be home on the couch snuggled up with your cat and endless episodes of Mythbusters.

At least I had the time to be all nurturing and junk, too bad this was the child that will not eat anything. Otherwise, I might have made her this Italian Wedding Soup, which I had at a restaurant many many years ago, loved, and scribbled down notes on what was in there so I could copy it at home. It's good for a cold in body or spirit, and a nice variation from the usual chicken soup.
My original scribble in the restaurant.
Brown a pound of sweet Italian sausage (or spicy if you want it hot!).
Brown a chopped onion in the above fat.
Add chicken stock, and when boiling, chopped carrot and barley. Cook until tender.
Add chopped spinach.

If I want something hearty, I’ll add biscuit dumplings or cheese raviolis to this.

Sounds perfect for the night of our first hard fall freeze. I may have decided what’s for dinner tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment