Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cookie Redo

If you don’t think the order of things matters, just try working at McDonald’s and not following the prescribed pattern of mustard, ketchup, then pickles, and onions on a simple hamburger. It’s not just branding. The mustard doesn’t soak into the bun as readily as the ketchup so it’s less squashy and more juicy in terms of mouth-feel if the condiments are applied in that order, especially if they sit for any period of time. So I feel perfectly justified in saying there is a difference in taste between a frosted cookie and a sandwich cookie made out of the same frosting. There’s the cookie to frosting ratio, but there’s also a difference in what hits your palate first.

I only point this out so I can say I tried 3 ways to save the Jamboree cookies I wrote about previously from sitting around growing stale and slowly being fed to the dog. Frosting them (cream cheese, in case you’re wondering) made for a too sweet yet still bland Not Worth The Calories cookie.

Spreading that same frosting on top and smooshing another cookie upside down on top of it made for a better level of sweetness but still nothing to write home about. I just don’t like the texture. I think it’s the egg in it.

However, frosting them and adding some walnuts on top (also known as Menu Magic!) made the experience of the texture different enough and added an overtone to the taste that rendered them not so bad after all. Okay, that’s not stunning praise. But I could feed them to people without apologizing and I feel smug about my ability to salvage rather than throw away. WW II rationing: bring it on!

My partner was my guinea pig, and completely concurred with my verdict!

No comments:

Post a Comment