Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Shrimp WTC

Some people see WTC and think World Trade Center. 

I see it and think Worth The Calories, which is kinda how I rank food. Worth the Calories or Not Worth the Calories. Last Friday I went out on an actual date which was a lovely treat, however I made the mistake of not choosing my usual item off the restaurant menu. Isn’t that choice always followed by regret?

In the spirit of adventure, I branched out and tried the Shrimp Diablo, a spicy combination of grilled veggies and shrimp in a tomato-based sauce on angel hair pasta. Or so it said. I can’t say they lied, because there were strips of pepper and zucchini with black marks indicative of some exposure to flame or at least high heat. There were five pieces of shrimp on top of it, and there were tomatoes for sure. I don’t think I’d call it a sauce because that implies doing something to it. This seemed to be a can of diced tomatoes, warmed a little in a microwave and dumped over the top. I’ll even admit to some heat: there was a good amount of cayenne sprinkled around. “Good” in that it made the plate pretty, and that it warmed your mouth plenty without causing searing pain. And yet…and yet this dish had no depth of flavor. The chef managed to achieve spicy and bland at the same time. Perhaps I should applaud that as an achievement itself but I won’t. Sure, I was hungry and I ate it, but ultimately it was Shrimp Placido and NWTC.

The solution? More calories of course! Chocolate cheesecake that was like dense fudge. Thank goodness we split it or I would have needed a trip to the emergency room for insulin, but I would have been happy all the way. Next time I want to be adventurous, I should try something original, like these ideas from Lea and Perrins.

Tempura Shrimp with Hot Sauce
2 lbs jumbo shrimp
Flour
2 eggs, well beaten
¾ c water
Deep fat

Shell shrimp but don’t remove the tails. Slit them down the back. Open out the shrimp and flatten them. Remove the veins. Dip the shrimp in flour. Combine 1 cup flour, eggs, sauce,and water. Beat til smooth. Dip flour-coated shrimp into the batter. Fry in deep fat at 370° for 3-4 minutes until shrimp are firm and crisp. Dip into cocktail sauce and serve with lima bean salad and thinly sliced white radishes.

Hot Cocktail Sauce
1 c chili sauce
Juice of 1 lemon
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1 T horseradish
Combine and chill.

Or maybe:

Scampi with Caper Sauce
1 lb shrimp
¼ c olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T parsley
¼ t oregano

Shell raw shrimp, slit down the back, remove vein, and wash. Drain well. Heat olive oil. Add shrimp and remaining ingredients. Saute over a high flame, stirring constantly until shrimp are golden brown and curled. Serve hot with caper sauce, lemon slices, bread sticks, potato salad, and grilled tomatoes.

Caper Sauce
½ c mayonnaise
1 T lemon juice
2 t Worcestershire sauce
2 T drained capers
Combine all and chill

No comments:

Post a Comment