Monday, August 30, 2010

Zucchini Bread


My Grampa always pronounced it "zoo-chee-nee" and I still don't know if he was joking or not. You can't have a garden without zucchini and you can't have zucchini without a LOT of zucchini. My boyfriend suspects me of sneaking it into everything and he's not far from the truth. (Try it in brownies.) I shred the extra and freeze it in measured amounts so I can toss a cup into this or that all winter long. If you're going to use frozen in zucchini bread, let it thaw and squeeze some of the water out before measuring.

3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 1/4 cups sugar
2 cups grated peeled zucchini (peeled? why bother! and I always go way generous on a "cup" when I'm adding the zucchini. I squeeze it too, even if fresh. Then I can add more!)
3 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon (come on, add more than that, it's good for you!)
Sometimes I throw in flax or wheatgerm or nuts if I have them on hand.

Combine dry ingredients. Beat eggs til light and foamy, add oil, sugar. zucchini and vanilla. Mix lightly, then beat well. Add dry ingredients and mix til blended. Pour into 2 greased floured loaf pans. Bake 350 degrees for one hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment