Monday, August 30, 2010

Spiced Puffs




Spiced Puffs

I think this is a Depression-era recipe, at any rate, it's been used for several generations in my family. It was my favorite kind of muffin as a child and one of the very first things I was taught to cook. My very very picky younger daughter loves them too.

1/3 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup sour milk (to sour milk, add 2t of vinegar to milk and let stand for a few minutes) or buttermilk or plain yogurt

Cream shortening and sugar together, beat in egg and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately with sour milk. Fill paper lined muffin tin. Bake at 350 degrees. 


No comments:

Post a Comment